Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Blast from the Past [Extra]: The Songs of Tony Burrows

What, you haven't heard of Tony Burrows? Well, neither had I. But I got stuck in a Wiki hole this evening, couldn't possibly tell you what started it. But did you know that this one dude had like five hit songs in the 70s, each time for a different group? They weren't much as far as groups go, sort of the Milli Vanillis of their day. But the songs were hits, in some cases huge.

Image from Wikipedia









 If you were born in the sixties or earlier, you remember Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes) by Edison Lighthouse, from your AM radio or your baby sitter's 45 record stack. If you're younger, you remember it from the movie, Shallow Hal. Tony sang that. Then there's Gimme Dat Ding from the Pipkins, a song you likely remember from The Benny Hill Show, or--and I may be wrong about this, but I think I'm right--Rowan & Martin's Laugh-in.





Tony was at it again with White Plains' My Baby Loves Lovin', which was a hit in 1970, and was featured on the soundtrack to Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. Those three songs were actually hits--all of them--from February to April of 1970. Also from 1970 was, United We Stand from The Brotherhood of Man.



Then came The First Class' Beach Baby, which is--as far as I know--the last big Tony Burrows song. And truthfully, wouldn't you have put it into the 60s surf era? But no matter. This unsung hero had quite a run of hits, and deserves to be celebrated!